Top Topics

Monday, April 7, 2014

One step forward 2 steps back

We are still out of ICU and in a private (and hot!) room. I'm trying not to complain about the heat too much since the other rooms are so loud with 2-3 in a room and curtains to divide the rooms. 

Owen has been very whiny, uncomfortable, and unhappy with most things. Of course we want to make him more comfortable, happy, give him what he wants, but it is never the right thing even if he asked for it already! 

From a medical standpoint there are a few things going on. They think that his fenestration (aka pop off valve created in surgery) has closed. It's the 4mm crescent slit created in the atrium. If it was still open his sats would be a little lower and he would likely be putting out less fluid from his chest tube. 

That's another issue. He was on the right track yesterday and they thought he would be getting the last one out soon. Today it only put out 70ml compared to 330ml (or something close to that) the day before. I have a delayed excitement about that because his chest X-ray was looking worse today and like more fluid is building on his left side where the chest tubes were taken out.

Electrolytes still low, potassium 3.1 and na 133. They have gone up on the blood pressure meds and the diruetics to help the fluid balance. Poor guy is so thirsty and asking for water, yummy water. And the room musta been 85 degrees. He's not technically on a fluid restriction but it's better for him to have calorie/electrolyte beverages like choc milk, Gatorade. Vit d is a non issue for 2 weeks we will up it when we get home. Got some great metagenics product coming via amazon prime.  

Marsh came today and was my extra hands boy I needed them. So far we haven't had a gap in extra hands/ara care. Court helped us out this morn before marsh got there the two kids are quite a handful. 

I'm winding down, going to shower off the day. It was gorgeous outside today I left Owen with marsh and I took ara out for a little hike around for 30 mins. It was so beautiful. 

Happy 61st to my dad! Last year we partied hard, sorry this year I wasn't able to party on. Glad you're here pops. He makes the best Carmel corn too... I may or may not have eaten a large ziplock of it over 3 days... Dietitian what?! Breastfeeding burns cals, guys. 

Things that made me laugh:
-I've be sleeping on the top bunk in the trailer and Ara is underneath me in a pack and play. To get her out/in one must  hunch over to get under the top bunk. Bed:3 head:0.
-Marsh put one of Owens diapers on Ara. (Owen is potty trained but the diuretics are strong...) she wears size 3 and Owen is size 6. It worked. 
-Ara rolled under the bench in the trailer and I couldn't find her for a minute
- When Wynt wore ara everyone thought she was her baby and Wynt just went with it
-putting cleanser on my face not once but twice thinking it was lotion
-closing my eyes for a second while walking down the hospital hall and walking straight smack into a hospital bed. My hands were full and I was wearing Arabelle but.. Whoa. Goose egg on my shin! 
-Owen playing the kindle while falling asleep. It's like a security blanket but electronic
-Marsh offered Owen a bite of pizza tonight and he said "I think not."

We are getting amazing care from the docs and RN's. It's like we've been through this before and they know us or something;). Lots of the same people has been nice. 

Ok gots to shower. Signing off from my trailer to yours:). 
He was so so so excited to get to go to ge playroom. Playing with him was so special, but I realized how weak he was. He is so strong but he just seemed so frail playing with the toys. He wasn't moving out of his chair or running around. I haven't heard his belly laugh in a week. It was bittersweet. We will get to playing harder soon. 
Here's Ara happy as can be under the bench!



No comments: