Top Topics

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Time flies

(picture was taken in the ER when we knew he was better). Couldn't get a smile.. But the tube was temporarily out!

Well I really thought I had blogged since the Yikes one...Time flies and I must have blogged in my brain during a walk or something... We are doing well. For the last 5 days Owen has been nursing almost every feed for 5-10minutes, and we follow up with high calorie breast milk depending on how much he takes from me. If possible I weigh him prior to and after each breastfeeding session. It has been working out well-he is soooo much happier, calm, and hopefully the scale will also show it works! His pre-lasix weight today was 10# so he is likely very close! I had always offered O breast but he wouldn't consistently take it. Just recently he did! I am still pumping because I have wanted to keep my supply going when* he was able to nurse completely. (*not sure if that will even happen). But I am scaling back a little bit to match his need a little (and the deep freezer is filling up.
I am adjusting to my role here-Chris had his stretch of days and we made it thru. I have found that I have a better day when I do more than just laundry/house stuff. I had a cooking extravaganza one day during 2 of Owen's cat naps. I made a plum tart, 2 lasagnas for friends, 2 taco casseroles, zucchini soup, granola, and tomato sauce for the lasagna. The kitchen looked like a tornado had passed thru, but although tired I felt this was a very therapeutic and fun way to spend my morning. Plus I know you are supposed to "sleep when the baby sleeps" but I just couldn't... It was a nice day and I plan on having home tasks like that when I am not planning on doing any errands. I have a few hobbies so it shouldn't be to tough to find other things to do:).
A friend asked me what was next for Owen...He will need another surgery in the next 3-9 months depending on his weight gain, as he hasn't grown into the shunt yet. As he grows, he will also outgrow it. He also needs his pulmonary veins corrected...MD's are discussing the Glenn procedure. It is usually the second stage of 3 stages of heart surgery in single ventricle patients. If Owen's heart grows well and the Ebsteins does not worsen, hopefully they can get away with only one more childhood surgery. But if he continues to be seen as a single ventricle patient then he will like need the Glenn and the Fontan procedure after that. These surgeries are like bandaids to help the kids grow and be home and have better outcomes in the long run. Our cardiologist (whom we LOVE) also said that if Owen doesn't ditch the ng prior to the Glenn procedure that he will get a PEG. (feeding tube in the stomach). Just like now, it doesn't mean he can't take foods by mouth, but it may be a supplement type of thing. That is all down the road...
Gotta go check his feeding pump!
-Chels

4 comments:

The Winn Family said...

LOVE the picture! I think of you guys often, glad you're doing well. I, too, cooked like a crazy person when I was home on maternity leave with Brady. I've been collecting recipes to try while home with Baby #2, although I think I'll definitely take advantage of the opportunity to sleep as much as possible! -Mikia

... said...

He is so alert! The kitchen often looks like a tornado after Luca's nap too :)...although there was only a 1/2 hr nap today! So glad you're able to pump a good amount of milk. I pumped for 9 months when I went back to work and was only able to get about 4 oz on average. Speaking of work...I know the grass is always greener, but I'm excited that you get to stay home for now. I love my days home with Luca (I work mon, wed and Thurs) and often wish I had the whole week. Take care --Sara

The Brittons said...

I am looking forward to more cooking escapades! My pumping was outta control- every 3 hours for 10 minutes and usually 4-10 ounces total- way more than neccessary. I just have to keep a decent supply up- no need to try to stockpile oodles of milk!

laurel said...

Yay Owen! I'm so glad he is doing well!! And, I am so impressed with your cooking! Wow! I think it's so great that you guys both have such strong backgrounds in health so you can really understand what is going on with Owen and how to help him. Thanks for your comments on my blog! I miss you too Chels. Wanted you to know that I will be home next weekend (along with my brother! Yay!) and though I totally understand that it is late notice and it may not work it would be so awesome to see you!! Especially now since I am just dying to spend more time with babies and young kids and talk about all the amazing things I have been learning about child development! But, yeah, I would love to see you and Owen!! Much love! -Laurel