Top Topics

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yikes

Well I must type fast (as all posts these days!)
We had a not so good day yesterday in addition to my news. I went on a big outing by myself to the grocery store but couldn't leave because my prius's battery had died...While Chris charged it I took his truck around town.
We were getting Owen ready for his night feed after bath and needed to re-tape his ng tube to his face as it lifts every few days and he likes to grab it! This is no fun for any party involved. Owen started the bath and ng routine with about an hour of crying/fussiness which is pretty normal. After we replaced it Owen had a gag and a nasty mucus spit up (which he has been doing recently...usually during/after a feed). He then turned pale as a sheet and was lethargic and not acting normal. From being fussy to nothing at all and pale as a ghost we knew we needed to get outta here and get him checked out. Poor boy. We loaded up the car and Chris flew down the hill. If either of us were by ourselves we decided we would have gone to Marshall, but we went to Roseville. Chris called them and gave his buds a heads up that we were on our way in. Not the best way for Owen to meet all of his fans! By the time we got there (and with 30minutes of sleep under his belt) Owen's color did look much better. We didn't want to overreact, but with his history we didn't want to write it off. Chris replaced the ng tube, and off we went for a chest xray to rule out aspiration. The tube was in the right spot, and the xray looked a little more congested than his last one (due to overcirculating d/t his shunt being too big for his body size). As long as he doesn't get a fever he likely didn't aspirate. So we got home late, Owen finally got his dinner 4 hours late, and then he slept for 5 hours!! Wahooo! But we have to make up for those calories somehow!
I went down the hill today for the weight check and Owen is up to 9# 11 ounces. Our scale is the same so that is good. Busy errands and let me tell you I couldn't do them fast enough because it was time to get back and feed the boy. It has been a better day but we have to work on those nasty spit ups. They can lead to him losing a decent portion of his feeds. Our cardiologist suggested saline and a bulb syringe prior to feeds for a while. This worked great for the first one today and then I forgot to do it at the last one and he spewed after gagging... GEEZ!
He is a happy camper though and played happily in his crib for 45 minutes! Crazy! I kept thinking he was asleep and checking on him because the monitor was quiet but he was watching his mobile. What a sweet heart.
Please keep his mealtimes in your thoughts-it is challenging for us all.
Love and wet kisses from Owen.
-Chels

3 comments:

Linda Plank said...

well that is good i just left a private message in Chris's FB. Didnt want to spill the beans you know hippa and all. You guys especially you Chelsea looked so scared when you came in. I was the one who fowarded his phone call to charge and I registered Owen even tho i had no chief complaint and didnt know what room he went to. Because i am the best clerk ever i figured it all out!! Haha. I put SOB in as Chief complaint figured that was safe and they left it in. WHen i came back to get your signature you all looked much better. That must be scary to drive that far at night with a baby for any reason. You didnt overreact you are nurses and Chris is a nurse in the ER hey we dont overreact!! haha cept if its scary. Take care I was just praying for you again that nothing bad would happen. But thats a normal thing for me when anyone that has a youngster has something scary going on. You guys are tough!

The Brittons said...

Linda it was nice to see you albeit in a icky situation. Could have been worse and now we have had other conversations if something like that happens again... Owen loves all his adorable clothing from you- they fit him perfectly with a little room to grow. He wore the " j
Was born this cool" yesterday! So cute! We really appreciate your love in our lives!

Rudy said...

What a roller coaster! Glad to hear things are back to better. It was so good to see you guys and I'm sorry we had to run. I would have liked to have visited longer. I had so many questions! I too believe that all things happen for a reason. Though your job is gone, I'm certain there are greater things ahead for you. Do you like to read? I just read an amazing book my mother gave me and I'd like to share it with you.