Top Topics

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

We have a plan.

We had a later start to the day today. Chelsea had a doctor's appointment that we had to get transferred to down here and luckily where we have to park our car for the RMcDH is a kaiser parking garage so we are within walking distance to the Kaiser clinic which makes things nice. We left a little early last night because we felt helpless and frustrated with everything and need to remove ourselves from the situation. We found our way to a Bestbuy and bought a new series to us called Entourage which is pretty funny. We try to watch it and take our mind off things. When we got back to Ronald's a real estate company had volunteered their time and made everyone in the house a nice dinner. We have noticed this happens almost every night during the week. It's nice to not have to worry about cooking after a long day.
Owen did good through the night. He is very strong and they comment on that often. I don't think that I have mentioned this before but he had a Arterial Line placed when he intubated. This line goes directly into an artery instead of a vein. This allows them to get continuous blood pressure from Owen and draw blood from as it well. Owen had to have another IV placed which is bigger than the others he has had but I am good with that. The bigger the better is what I am use to.
Owen's surgeon came and talked to us today. His plan is to connect a shunt from Owen's Aorta to pulmonary artery. He described this as being the safest of all plans and to have the best outcome. The pulmonary veins are to small at this time to mess with unless they have to. The plan afterward would be to let us go home if he is able to hold his saturation's above 75 all the time. They are looking to buy more time for Owen to grow 3-4 more months before they would have to do another procedure. We were told that this is a high risk surgery with Owen's other issues in his heart but what open heart surgery is not high risk. We have a feeling of being trapped up against a wall, on one hand we can't take him home this way because he can not keep his saturation's high enough and on the other he has to have a open heart surgery to fix something temporarily. There is the possibility that it might not work and they might have to look at the veins. What do you do? Chelsea and I are tired. We are tired of this whole process. I am tired of looking at Owen intubated and waking up from time to time. It brings tears to my eyes every time he is staring at me and just wondering "what is going on?". He looks as if he is trying to cry but can not. It breaks my heart to see him like this. A lot of people ask us how we do it. We are only doing what every parent would do. You put everything to the side, the only thing that is important is each other. We stay strong for each other. When one of us has a bad day the other is there to pick you up- Including Owen picking the two of us up at times. This has forever changed us as parents, husband and wife, friends, and people in general. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as well as the surgeons and all other staff that take care of him.
-Chris

11 comments:

The Schwartz Family said...

Thoughts and prayers your way!! I just cried with you... Stay strong and snuggle that cutie pie!!

live & thrive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sayna said...

Chris and Chelsea don't think for a second that you're out of our thoughts and prayers. All of us who are parents know how hard your hours are passing and how sleepless your nights are. You're doing great, all of us at one point have wanted to open up, take our child inside and make everything perfect. Where is that magic wand?

You're both exhausted and terrified, just hold on to each other.
Now, let me lighten things up, right now you have Drs who can eventually fix his heart and make it better, WHAT are you going to do when the First girl he falls in love with breaks his heart!!!! Yes my friends it never ends, from now on you're going to be slaves to needs of your children!! 8-)
Stay strong. And let us cry and pray with you. Anytime you feel defeated, close your eyes and imagine the strength of all these people whom love you guys go through you and hold you up.
Love,
Sayna
Sayna

fethiye said...

You guys are doing great. I cannot imagine going through what you are going through AND be positive! You both rock!

Ashley & Kyle said...

You're entire family as well as the Dr's and rest of the medical staff are in our prayers every night. We love you guys so much and being brand new parent ourselves, we really cannot even imagine what you're going through. All 3 of you are so amazingly strong and such an inspiration to us when we have a bad day with Madison when she's only teething! We would love to come down and visit you guys next week if you're not too busy. Kyle will give Chris a call to see if that would work out and if not, it's not a big deal at all. We completely understand that you have plenty on your plate to deal with. We are just getting impatient to see your little guy! :) We love you guys and your in our thoughts and prayers everyday!

Candyce said...

We're definitely thinking of you guys constantly and praying for you! Much love.

Unknown said...

Dearest Chris, Chels and Owen, I remember the NICU days, the intubation, the lines, the roller coaster days--one day your baby a fraction better, the next a setback. The fatigue, the fear, the frustration, and yet the hope, the determination, the prayers of friends and family. You're right-- it changes you forever, and you find you are stronger than you ever thought possible, for your child, for each other. Our love, our wishes for strong hearts (yours and Owen's!). XXXOOOAuntie Syl

Rana Guzman said...

Hi Chris and Chelsea,

When my son was 3 wks old he was in the hospital and needed to have surgery, nothing like what you two are dealing with, but scary none the less. 2 cards I recieved were the most inspirational and helpful in our tough time. I wanted to share the messages with you....
Believe it is possible to solve your problem.
Tremendous things happen to the believer.
So believe the answer will come. It will.
Norman Vincent Peale

and.....

Lord, You invite all who are burdened to come to You. Allow your healing hand to
heal me. Touch my soul with Your compassion for others. Touch my heart with Your
courage and infinite love for all. Touch my mind with Your wisdom, that my mouth
may always proclaim Your praise. Teach me to reach out to You in my need, and help
me to lead others to You by my example. Most loving Heart of Jesus, bring me health
in body and spirit that I may serve You with all my strength. Touch gently this
life which You have created, now and forever. Amen.

Take care of each other, and love that baby of yours. You guys are doing an awsome job during your tough time together.
Thank GOD for MCDonalds :)

The Whole night shift crew is thinking of you all.
You will be in my prayers
Rana






Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before,
how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way,
and that so many things that one goes worrying about
are of no importance whatsoever.
Isak Dinesen

Linda Plank said...

Chris & Chelsea I am so happy to see some postive flow today. I didnt know this till yesterday but your posts are put everyday in a binder in the breakroom so everyone can read them. God bless you and watch over your little Owen we are all routing for you!!

The Brittons said...

Thank you all for the words of help and prayer. When reading my blog later I noticed that I did not put his date for surgery on there. The plan as it stands is to have surgery first thing in the morning on friday, 8/13. Just putting that togther now friday the 13th. What ever that is a bunch of crap anyway.So surgery first thing in the morning.

blackdog said...

Chris,
I just lost it when I read your comment about Owen crying over the tube....it sent me back in time five years...I remember feeling so helpless watching Jimmy cry when he was intubated.I can definately relate!
Is'nt it so weird how the NICU is a whole different ball game from what we're used to in the ER? Seems like everything we freak out about here,doesn't seem to be the priority there!
Thank you for keeping the blog going...It's nice to know whats happening from day to day.
I think about the three of you everyday....praying for you and sending love your way. Keep your head up and kiss that baby for me!
Deb