Top Topics

Monday, August 16, 2010

One step forward two steps back.

I was not going to blog tonight but I felt like I needed to. Today started as a great day. Owen was having IV drips stopped, his right lung that was collapsed was back up. He was more awake and having great urine output, he no longer looked like giant marsh mallew. Chelsea was about to get her birthday wish to have the tube removed from Owen's mouth because he was breathing on his own. As we were sitting there watching Owen get extubated he began to have a decreased HR and was not looking good. HR dropped to the 30's took a couple breaths. They were at the point when they were very nervous and multiple team members started arriving to help because Owen needed acute intervention at that time. Chelsea and I were asked to step out which we did and there was no reason to watch so we went down the hall. Owen was given emergency meds at that time that helped stabilize him. They did not have to perform CPR but were close from what we were told. This was not what we were expecting at all today. He is stable now and his lab work looks better after the event and has had time to recover. That is one thing that I wish to never see again with my own child. Part of you wants to run out of the hospital and not look back. The other part, the stronger part is that you don't want to leave his bedside. We have felt all the emotions that I think you can feel in one day today. Happy, fear, anger, helpless, etc.. Not sure where we will go from here. As soon as he gets back on track they will give him another few days or so and we will try this again. I know that every parent goes through what we are going through when in our same situation but it still sucks. This is a roller coaster that I no longer want to ride. I am ready to get off. I won't however because Owen needs us and we need him. I don't really have anything else to say about today... Hope for a better day tomorrow.

10 comments:

Linda Plank said...

Chris and Chelsea and little O
I wish we all could send you something to keep you going. To hold your hand. To give you a great big hug, but we are all here and you are up there. But know this for sure there isn't one of us who isnt thinking of you everyday and praying and hoping that everything turns out alright and for all of you to come home soon. Here is a big huge hug from all of us in the ED and I am sure all your friends and neighbors and relatives are feeling the same. Close your eyes and feel that love coming to you. May it give you some strength to help you when you are down.

lynda puich said...

Chris & Chelsea Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I think my little Dylan said it best " I just want baby Owen to get better".

Rudy said...

Helpless is a hard place to be. You two are strong people. Lots of love and prayers from our family.

Dee said...

Chris and Chelsea, If I had the power, the one wish I could make and have come true, it would be to take the pain, discomfort and impairments of Owen onto myself. To allow him to instantly be a child with a healthy heart, lungs and the hunger for life at home with Mom and Dad. I would endure the meds, tubes, and the intermittant lows that you two have to witness on a regular basis. I would take all that away from you and embrace it knowing that your Owen is well. I believe Owen will get through this and will be home with you and Blue as it should be. I envision you both as you see Owen take his first steps and someday watch him take his first bat in little league. You are being ask to endure too much and I hate that I can't help you more. Give Owen a kiss for me, then hug each other knowing that this difficult time is a hurdle that must be conquered. If not just with your strengths, than with all of ours as well. Love you all.

Unknown said...

I'm hugging you all in my head right now. I and many others will continue to keep the prayers flowing. XO

Sayna said...

All any of us can say is that you two are being tested beyond any ones limits but hang in there. Like you said during times like this or any other simple thing a parent feels like running and blinking so everything would go away but they stay. Hang in there.

The Schwartz Family said...

Huge hugs and a lot of prayers for you guys. Keep strong, you guys are amazing and Owen knows it. Keep going and sniff him all you can!

KS Petty said...

Just tell him to stop. :-) Tell him you love him, but it's time to stop so you can go home. We love you guys, and we're only a phone call away.

Unknown said...

You guys are so incredibly strong and brave. Thank you so much for your inspiring words.

The Brittons said...

Thanks everyone, Kyle I tell him to stop everyday. I also tell him that I am going to scare the crap out of him we he understands daily.