Top Topics

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Edibles

Peaches or almonds? I am leaning towards almonds at this point. Our peaches are already turning orange and these are still small and green. This tree did not fruit last year.
A plum tree on our property that also did not fruit last year. They are purple and delish now! Chris is the primary picker! The deer also enjoy the ones that fall to the ground. I thought we would have enough to make some plum jelly but we are eating them pretty rapidly...so sweet!
As I was watering a few months back I hit my head on something in this tree. After a bit of deliberation, Wynt and I decided that it was a cherry! (they were green at the time). Some weeks of sun and yep! Sour but large cherries. Chris tends to enjoy them as is, and we have picked at least 5 cups so far. They are pretty firm, but I have had them on the counter to soften for ease of pitting. I pitted 2 cups of cherries from Gramps's cherry tree, and his are smaller and softer- I was able to use a straw. Hopefully I will be able to pit these and freeze for a pie later on!
Our asparagus is slow and steady. We have been able to get a few thicker stalks. My girlfriend Tracy said hers were much thicker...Not sure if it is the soil or our crowns we started with. Chris built this bed from pressure treated wood, lined it with chicken wire, and weed liner, and filled it with lots o dirt. We put the asparagus in the back and russet, blue, and fingerling potatoes in the front. The deer have now been trimming the potato vines for us (Poisonous?!). They are ready to be dug, it is the trick of finding a cooler morning and also the energy to bend over for a period of time:). Another hopeful harvest before Owen comes...Who knows? So these photos are all taken of our edibles up by our house. The garden is another story that deserves it's own posting.


2 comments:

mandalei said...

Hey Chels, I have a sour cherry pie filling recipe you can put up by canning, if you want! Or use it right away... let me know if you want it. It calls for 5 cups of cherries, which you seem to have ;)

The Brittons said...

Oh yes I want it!!