Top Topics

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 9

Last night Chris and I went down to the garden with what little sunlight we had left. (Where did the summer go?) It was after 8 but we thought we could put cages around our tomatoes and tomatillos. Last night was as good of time as any, right? Only about a month overdue...Chris had made some cages out of our old fencing, but he went to home depot during the last feed of last night. He scored on some cheap cages to protect our future harvests. I was harvesting veggies while Chris was caging. The caging ended up being a 2 person job since the plants were thriving so much. We decided to harvest a bunch of veggies for the nicu staff. We brought them zucchini, basil, lettuce, kale, tomatillos, and plums. This morning we slept in a little and I made some pesto since the basil is in total abundance. Into the freezer for future enjoyment! After our morning dance of getting ready, packing lunch, loading the ice chest with breast milk and lunch, we were on our way. Chris as the usual chauffeur, and me the best passenger. I usually try to make one call on the way in to catch someone up verbally...It is still a challenge with limited cell service along the way. We made it to Roseville and went to see our little doll-baby. He was sleeping of course- he had taken about 3 ounces of breastmilk around 9 in the morning so he was good to nap for a while. We try to let him sleep and rest but it is too hard to just sit there and watch him. I can last about 10 minutes of that and then he is in my arms! Aunt Wynter came to visit today and she helped me with a different breastfeeding hold. We are continuing to learn from each other but I have some steep competition with the bottle. At least he doesn't have a problem eating no matter how he gets it. Owen was glad to see Wynt, she babysat while I pumped. O must have been relaxed because he did a dooty as she was holding him. Changed him, took his temp, and swaddled that baby up and he was good to go to nap for 4 hours. The Bowens came and gazed at him, he was so content and resting that they just peeked at him. We took a lunch break, it was nice to visit with the Bowens and laugh. Chris and I tend to eat well from our garden or leftovers, we are not hurting on the food intake aspect. Pumping schedule led us back down to O's room and dad only lasted a few minutes before O was in his arms. Got to see my co-worker RD Laura and she gave me the ok to take a 4 hour break at night because my milk production has been so good. YAY!! That was such good news to me. Chris and I stopped at Joy and Greg's on the way home, got a quick visit in, and almost gained another kid as Anna (their 4 year old daughter) tried to come home with us! Came home, pumped, and served up some yummy lemony chicken and broccoli. Tried the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on the way home-in true Britton fashion! Most goodies don't make it all the way home untouched. We enjoyed our dinner on the deck and took in our property and the peace that it brings. Also had a glass of wine which just added to the relaxation. Chris and I have been working so well as a team and we try to take care of each other and stay balanced. We decided that I would blog, he made a phone call and then we would do 30 minutes of housework. Then maybe we would watch a movie. So he is leafblowing and I am behind...guess I only have to do 25minutes:).

I know that Chris has thanked all of our supporters already but we are so thankful to have such amazing people in our lives. Sometimes I get emotional not about our kiddo but about how much love we have and support that is given to us. It is so special to feel all of that love surrounding you. So if you are wondering if we feel it, we sure do.

Baby O hopes for more days like today where we are just waiting and seeing. His oxygen levels were lower tonight, so they may go up even more on his oxygen supplement. This may mean that his hole is shrinking or closed. I'm sure his cardiologist will see him tomorrow. He already stopped by both weekend days and he was not working.

Take care all of you readers out there. If we are unable to contact you we send your love right back onto you and your world. Baby O is so strong and we are so hopeful for him. We just miss him and can't wait to bring him home and snuggle him all the time.
-Chelsea

2 comments:

... said...

Luca and I had such a hard time establishing our breast feeding relationship and didn't really do well with it until we were home. Keep up your good work...she is still nursing now at 17 months!

Sayna said...

Nice to hear your voice or I should say your words here. I miss you, keep up the good battle. Sound like your turning into a little farmer, soon you have to set up a side tent at the farmers market.
Miss you,
Sayna