Top Topics

Friday, February 7, 2014

Congenital Heart Defects Awareness Week

2/7-2/14 is CHD Awareness week. This week I'm doing a lot to raise awareness. I have a fundraising page for Mended Little Hearts, running a cumulative virtual half marathon, and finishing the week with going to SF for a heart catheterization for Owen. 

As I was writing this blog in my head last night (while up multiple times with Ara...) it sounded more eloquent than the words are coming out after a disjointed night of sleep.

I wanted to briefly share our story, but there is nothing short about it. Our first babe was born with a heart that would never function the way mine does. He was a planned pregnancy from 2 healthy and unsuspecting individuals. When we first found out I was shocked that he wasn't healthy and so naive about the statistics. About 1/100 children born have a heart defect. I know 5 in my personal life and countless that I have met in our adventure with Owen, so the stats may be true in your life as well. 

Cheers to Owen, who has endured much more than he should, to thrive as a toddler. May his future procedures & surgeries only make him stronger and allow him to continue to enjoy life. He is truly a blessing and we love him with all our heart!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is such a beautiful combination of both you and Chris. Agreed.. cheers to you Owen, may you continue to thrive and know just how many people love you and pray for you.

Winn Family said...

He's amazing, as are his mama and daddy. xoxo

Heidi Ann said...

I am thinking of you this morning. With loving prayers and wishes to all of you - and especially dear Owen - on this Valentine's Day, Heidi