Top Topics

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Project Shirt off my Back

I have been inspired over the last year after reading an article in sunset magazine about a woman who has attempted (and succeeded) in producing zero(or very little) waste. Annually she can fit her family of 4's accumulated waste into a quart canning jar! She blogs, is on Facebook and Pinterest, and lives in Sausalito I believe. 

We minimize waste as able, but not like she does! We cloth diaper 50% of the time, compost, feed our chickens scraps, bring our own bags to the store (have since I moved out from my parents house), and use reusable cups. My next commitment is to take my used soap containers to a new store in town that will refill them up with green products. 

The Zero Waste lady, Bea, is quite into fashion. I am not. I used to be into quantity of clothing, and filled up 2 oversized closets in the past. Even though over half of the clothing was used that was quite excessive. Chris and I share a normal sized closet and I've downsized like a madwoman. My new goal is to fit all seasons into my 3.5 x 6 foot space. Now is a great time to do it as I've packed away all my non prego clothes. Yesterday I thinned out my summer, winter, and a portion of my normal fitting clothes. 

I just dropped off a garbage bag sized load of clothing to hospice, and reduced my shoe collection from 19 pair to 15 pair(including slippers). I reduced my closet by 40 articles of clothing, and proudly have over a foot of space to spare. I took a photo afterwards to share. Keep in mind the pants on top are almost all maternity, as well as 1/2 the hanging clothes. Also I haven't purchased any maternity clothes, as I have wonderful family and friends who have shared with me. 

I'm feeling free! The 2 flat bins under my bed are both half full and awaiting my weight loss to replace the maternity clothes. 

Why the tangent?! We all have too much! More is not more. We all waste too much! Why not get rid of/ thin out/purchase items that can be more interchangeable? It feels good to purge and donate to a great cause at the same time!

I didn't love the shirt I was wearing so I took it off and added it to my donate stash. Project Shirt off my Back:)

1 comment:

Heidi Ann said...

That is really impressive, Chelsea! I am proud of you - and I sure could take a lesson from you! I have been very bad about accumulating, although I do buy nearly all of my clothing from thrift stores, and I have donated some clothes recently, too. At least, I am "recycling" by buying used, right? I vow to try and do better, based on your example here.