Top Topics

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Skiing revisted- a decade later!

Well it had been since 2000 that I had ventured up to ski or snowboard. I went up last winter with my girlfriend Erika and we snowshoed pregnant. That was a complete blast! Even though I was in desperate need of sleep I decided to go up to Sierra with Brian, Bryce, and Wynt.
I really did contemplate checking into a hotel room and sleeping for 8 hours instead of going skiing but I was soooo glad that I decided to go. With Owen teething and being in a new place there wasn't much sleep going on.....

Haha me with a dorky lean! I was soo thrilled it really did come back to me. I have fond memories of going up at least 2 times/month in junior high through the winter. Our school would have a bus take us up and we would have a lift ticket and rentals for something ridiculous like 40$ for everything. My uncle Brian would also drive me and a friend up to sierra or kirkwood and we would have a blast going through the trees, and tearing up the intermediate and beginner trails. Wynter and I would also perform tricks like going through each others legs...tricky and no we did not try this this time (she was boarding).
Wynt was really good. I have tried to snowboard a few times but I would always trade in my rental for skis because I was tired of falling. So I knew this time to just start off skiing. I am a skier. Wynt on the other hand can do either!
Brian and Bryce chilled with us newbies for a while. Uncle Brian was hopeful for powder but didn't get it, so he stuck to the groomed runs with us.
I took the chair lift risk and took this shot. It was so peaceful up there, I forgot what quiet was like! The first half of the day was not busy at all, and this quiet peace was everywhere. It was very freeing to be up there and was so weird to not be responsible for anything other than myself. It was the longest I had been away from Owen (besides in the hospital) but it really felt good to leave the boys for some quality guy time. Other than pumping in a very busy lodge !twice! It went very smooth.
I was very glad to have the opportunity to enjoy the season. I look forward to the days when Owen will be able to tolerate higher elevations. I know he will love the snow.

2 comments:

KS Petty said...

this means Chris and I should go, right?

Anonymous said...

Love these pictures, I am so glad you got away for some "you" time, and I am very jealous, I miss snowboarding A LOT! Next year- it's on :)