Top Topics

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween

Quick posting (as usual!) while Owen is getting his feed and asleep!
We had a great Halloween. It was such a beautiful day outside and Owen was soo happy even though I dressed him up multiple times... We did what we had hoped to..Make caramel corn and take lots of pictures. Somewhere in between, Owen pulled out his ng tube! At least it wasn't me this time!! Jac and I were in the kitchen making caramel corn, O was in his swing, and I look over and see his new move of him grabbing his paci. But I looked over and there was no patch on his cheek! I made a leaping bound over the bench that was in the way (only way to keep Blue out of the kitchen..ARG!), and pushed HOLD on the feeding pump, STOP on the swing, and tried to PUSH the tube back in. After one push and lots of resistance, I realized all but an inch was in his nose... He was over halfway thru with his feed so we let his tummy settle and actually got to play with him with his tube out!

It was so much fun to not have to be careful with him. I mean- I think you can know what I mean. I am careful with him anyway but he has always had tubes of some sort coming out of him so it was sooo much fun to nuzzle both cheeks!!
One of his favorite spots is on his fur (Thanks Jay!) on his changing table with his snuggle blanket (thanks Shannon!).
Our little sweet pea!
Pre-tube removal. The adults enjoyed white wine with a tootsie pop in it (yum! the sweetness around the pop leaches out into the wine). I called it a tootsie-tini! Jac showed me some of her pics from her recent Haiti trip, and we enjoyed caramel corn...
Can you believe a dietitian would give her 3 month old this much candy??? Some parents...

So Jac helped hold Owen's head steady and the first try of re-inserting the tube I thought went well. Until I noticed it was all coiled in his mouth!! The second try we got it in the right spot! Chris texted me that "we will make a nurse out of you yet!" I have thought about it for sure, and if everyone in the world wasn't going back to school right now I may consider it someday again.

Our meeting with the Lactation consultant went pretty well. Of course Owen was exhausted and didn't breastfeed or take a bottle for her...It was a major trip to get him in the car, feeding, and driving down to Arden. The alarm on the pump was going off for 20 minutes even 2 seconds but it isn't so easy to pull over on the side of 50-or safe. We came up with a plan to trial bottle feeding of my milk because our overall feeding goal is to get the tube OUT! This way we can measure more accurately how he is eating.

The first bottle Owen took 110mls (almost 4 ounces!!) We were astonished- he had never taken this much by mouth! I was hoping and praying that the Moose was back! But, Owen is consistent with his inconsistencies and the subsequent bottles he took 75mls, 30mls, 10mls, none, none, 30mls, 35mls, none.... I am calling the consultant back to see what her ideas are...I know many parents trial multiple nipples but we used the same one that he did so well on and he just didn't want it. So now feeding is taking upwards of 1.5hours because if he is rejecting the bottle I wait 15minutes and then try again...then wait another and try again... Then feed him via tube whatever he doesn't take... The plan is to try this for a week but man, I need a dose of patience if this is the way it's going to be....

Anyway, house update- deer ate my chard despite Chris's attempts to keep them out.. :( The garlic is coming up so have to figure out how to keep them out of that...

Pat the rooster is picking on 2 of our hens so we need to find other homes for them or have someone come out and take care of them....Not what we want to do but Pat is beating them up:(

Blue is in love with Owen and is protective in a very sweet way.

Chris is working his usual scheg and trying to schedule some Dad away time. I think he is going to the movies next week to see scary movies that I would never want to see!!

I'm doing the usual-exercising, sewing in my spare time, ha! and the household chores that you all know and love. I'm extending the clothesline time due to the warmer weather the last few days!

FYI Baby Paxton is home now and it appears that his surgery was a complete success. Although we hope Owen's ebsteins is never as serious as Paxton's, it is good to know that the cone procedure is an effective way to re-construct the tricuspid valve.

Happy November, extra hour of sleep this weekend, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY COURT!!


No comments: