Top Topics

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Institute of Functional Medicine Conference

About 6 months ago my employer strongly suggested I attend the annual IFM conference coming to SF in May. We knew things were possibly coming up for Owen but we decided to plan on it anyway. Thankfully it worked out timing wise with surgery, but it was quite a dance to coordinate childcare for 3 days as Chris's stretch was 2 out of the 3 days.

Also, Jim's was planned for the middle of the 3 days of the conference and I was not going to miss that event. So I went to 2 of the conference days and got to honor Jim and support my family as well.

The conference was FANTASTIC! I need to fulfill 75 continuing education hours every 5 years (6 years the first cycle). The thing is, education is expensive, ranging from 10$ per hour to 30$ per hour. So I was able to get 18 ed hours for this awesome event.

I don't really know how to describe the 2 days but it was a series of talks from well known authors, scientists, doctors, food-scientist, big name real food supporters and food-polititans. Michael Pollan,
Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Hyman, and Dr. Bland were some of the headliners.

Here are some fun links if you want to know more about functional medicine/the presenters:
What is Functional Medicine?
Dr. Hyman- War against sugar
 Dr. Cordain- who started the paleo way of eating
Dr. Fuhrman- promoting mostly vegetables
Michael Pollan- food purist/activist/author/writer by trade

Although each presenter reportedly was not seeking financial gain, they are all authors on some level, most having at least one book. Also gotta say that Dr. Cordain (Paleo) looked the least healthy, and probably Fuhrman looked the healthiest. Just sayin'.

I haven't been around so many healthy looking people in a long time. In a room of 1200 professionals, there was not one obese person. If there was I didn't see them. I was straining to find anyone even overweight. There was so much detail presented, very in depth chemistry to a goofy cooking demonstration. It really goes to show how big of a role lifestyle plays in one's health & weight.

The other great aspect of the conference was networking with the small but powerful group of "Foothill Functionalists" as we are called. It was so refreshing to work together, ask each other questions about practice, and just get to know each other.

I'm refreshed and renewed, and I love my field. I'm so grateful to have picked a career that I am passionate about. I even saw the RD I job shadowed with 10 years ago on Monday, and was able to thank her. Blessed.

Also, a shoutout to the coordinators of care of my little people! Chris, Court, Paul, Janet, & Lois helped make my "getaway" possible. Last Thursday was my longest day away from Arabelle, I left for SF around 4am, and returned at 930.

No comments: