Top Topics

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Just can it!

Chris's sister Amanda and I canned like crazy people today. Apple butter, spaghetti sauce, and jalapeño jelly were on the schedule- homegrown of course! Mostly their garden this year though! Enjoy the montage... We had fun and heated up the house too!
I wrote a schedule in case we got distracted... 
Crazy amounts of tomatoes
Scored and ready for blanching
Plunge into iced water
Pretty peeled yumminess
Ready for cooking
Puréed sauce in large pot
Water bath and pressure canner going today
Poor Amanda deveined and deseeded 12 ounces of jalapeños which is a lot. Owens nap just happened to fall at that point in our schedule... At least I warned her to wear rubber gloves:).
Our finished products- 40cups of spaghetti sauce and enough apple butter and hot pepper jelly to share!

What a fun, hot, productive and tiring day. I'm humming Owen to sleep right now. Then I have a date with the couch to put these toes up. The whole point of canning is that the food is shelf stable so I don't need to unload the car tonight.... Right?!

2 comments:

lorlore said...

Nice job, girls!! I plan to crockpot some apple butter in the next month or so!! Our piano teacher, back in the day, used to have it bubbling away on her stove in the Fall when we went for our lessons.Love it on toast!

Winn Family said...

Holy moly! That's a lot of jars! I'm jealous, wish I lived closer so we could trade for some of those! Of course I don't know what we would trade that you don't already have... crazy 4 year-old?? LOL