Top Topics

Monday, July 22, 2013

Big garden vs little garden

This year we opted for 4 raised beds vs the gigantic 100' x 50' garden we did last year. I had a vision for 2 of the rows this season but the vision was overshadowed by large amounts of weeds and an early heat spell back in April.

I planted 70 potato plants in the big garden back in march when I was feeling great before the prego sick kicked in. The next row over I envisioned overflowing with zinnias. Sadly we hadn't turned the water on (due to a broken pipe) and lost the potato plants with a heat wave shortly after they took root... Bummer!

I didn't lose hope with the zinnias though- and planted 4 packets along 20 feet. I was packing them in as the weed situation in the garden was quite intense. And by the time the soil was ready for zinnias I was much bigger round the middle and found it a little more challenging to bend and pull weeds out.

The zinnias started growing, finally. And I didn't give up on the potatoes, knowing that they were probably hangin out underground just a little moody from the conditions. So we watered 2 rows for 2 months. Then the water bill came. 2 days later I dug up the zinnias and moved them to a raised bed up by the house that had some room. The water is now off at big garden. I miss having such abundance and ability to share but it really wasn't feasible this year.

The raised beds are decently managed, and I harvest what I need when I need it, in under 5 minutes. With the big garden we would get lost down there harvesting or weeding for hours out of necessity.

I do miss it terribly though! I would love to do a smaller bigger garden next year but we will see what shifts happen around here as a family of 4:).

The second photo is one of the 2 5 gallon buckets Owen and I hauled up the driveway. (Where was that red wagon when we needed it!)

First photo is the planted zinnias. Hopefully they thrive and grow to 5 feet as they did last year. So far my best ones are the ones from saved seeds...





1 comment:

Winn Family said...

We go through a mega-crisis every 6 months or so wherein we decide we have to sell our house and move to more property in the country right now OMG! Haha but then I remember how much work it is to keep acreage maintained and suddenly my tiny little raised bed in the suburbs doesn't look so bad. Someday I'll have my farm though. Zinnias look beautiful!