Top Topics

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Outdoors

I tend to do a few Spring has Sprung posts.  Each spring seems better than the last! There is nothing like the small seedlings peeking through the dirt, the dew coating leaves, and the peeking peonies. Nature is pure magic, we are so in love with our field time. Usually 3-5 ever day we go down "to the field". 

We discuss our highs and lows nightly at the dinner table. It has been fun to see Arabelle's growing understanding of this concept. The other night she said "My high was going to the field with Owen. And you guys." Hearts melted, for sure!

 The kids jump, I forage stinging nettle for tea. Last night dandelion greens were in the sauteed vegetables. How I love to forage!
 Look at those stingers! Ouch! But very high in iron and vitamins.


 Peonies emerging
 Seeds in for the early stuff: radish, carrot, chard, bok choy, lettuce. They are all about an inch tall now.
 O helped, my sweet boy, using a sharpie to make the signs. His penmanship is improving, and he is reading! We are thrilled to witness the synapses fire.
 My sweet girl hanging with mama. We sit, race trucks, forage, snip lilacs and bamboo, and dig for worms.
This beast was in my raised bed for 5 years. We are changing up the bed orientation to increase surface area for more growing and this artichoke had to come out. It was a bear but I removed it, and split it into many other plants. Hopefully they will thrive, but I'm not sure if I will get a harvest.

 Mud day. We did not plan on it, and we rarely wear cream or white around here... OOPS!
Laughing at dad racing his motorcycle around the prop.


 They had the best time, we had a ball watching them play in the mud and dig for worms.
 I forget I planted these a few years ago. They sneak up and surprise us!


 Property bouquet of hellsbores, sage, rosemary, daffodils.
 These kids are pretty energetic together! So fun to watch them grow up together. Being so close in age can be a little challenging but they consider themselves sisters.


 Heart warming
 One of the few of us lately. Lots of our kids, which is good!
 The old garden site will be home to solar. Whenever the company gets their act together. Come on, people! It is very tempting to just fold the plans and plant a berry patch there. Hmmmmm.


1 comment:

Tina Dawn said...

Children and spring, what more can we ask? I love all your miner's lettuce! I think that plant is especially glad for our rain this year. Our peonies here in Kelsey are already up, and the lilacs are blooming already! It's amazing. Enjoy! Love Tina