Top Topics

Thursday, August 20, 2015

School snacks

Owen continues to have specific preferences... He has come a long way in the oral aversion department, and now is one of those kids who touches his face and mouth all the time... Ugh just in time for kindergarten:(. 

Being a dietitian I truly have let a lot go with Owen to first get him off of relying on tube feeding. Then with his gagging continuing he limits himself on trying new things. Then there is the "normal" kid aspect of all this as well. I'm super stoked to say he eats an awesome variety of proteins now! The big lacking area is fruit, so I'm always attempting to sneak it in somehow. 

I made these snacks and he enjoys them! They aren't fresh but I'll take what I can get!

He will eat dehydrated peach and Apple "chips" as well as plantain chips. Apple and pear are the only fresh fruits he will eat:(.

My second batch turned out great. My first batch of fruit snacks (this go around,... I made them about a year ago) stuck to the paper... I thought I used parchment but I used waxed paper... Let's just blame that one on sleep deprivation okay?
Cut, roll, and store in freezer! These have plums, pineapple, and strawberries- that's it! I was so happy to watch him eat it, and ask for it again when I sent it in his lunch. Baby steps! I'm guessing one fruit strip has about 1/4 cup of fruit- I'll take what I can get!!





No comments: