Top Topics

Saturday, December 13, 2014

That Magic Moment

To quote the drifters.... there are many a magic moments these days. The magical moment last night was when Chris and I emerged from each child's bedroom with them on their way to dreamland. It's that feeling of relief, exhaustion, and happiness that comes when the beloved kiddos are asleep simultaneously. Let's face it, it is still kind of rare! And last night, they stayed asleep until 2 ish so we had some adult time! (not that we stayed awake that long, let's get REAL! We were up until a little after 1030).

I truly appreciate the teamwork on nights when Chris is home. The 3-4 nights a week that bedtime is my solo responsibility I really miss him! In all truth most nights I'm thankful that we have 2 babes and no more, ha!! They work me, challenge my energies like no other, even though I know I will look back on these nights (hopefully soon) and laugh at how busy they "were". But for now, it's a little chaotic, a little emotional (not just the kids, ha!), and not always smooth.

I really (don't) love when people tell me "She should be sleeping through the night by now" or "Why was he/she awake?" I really don't know. Believe me, I have changed the routine, changed the jammies, burned sage, eliminated foods, done my version of cry it out ("figure it out" I call it, with short timed amounts of some crying/talking yet not hysterical/escalated crying).... It gets better for a little while then gets loco again.

I'm pretty convinced that poor sleeping habits are genetic, as cousins were not good sleepers either...

The other magic moments lately...

Ara's receptive language is blowing our minds daily. She follows directions very well. It's super fun to ask her to "go grab the green toy," "follow brother into his room," "Grab your shoes please!" "Give brother a hug/kiss" Her words so far are: uh-oh, hi, bye, diaper, dad, mom, dog, pop,  hot, hat, tick tick tick (tickle)... Not a lot of talking but wow it is seriously magic to watch her understand what you're saying!

Owen really enjoys the Christmas spirit, and learning about different holidays and celebrations. He is thriving at preschool, always commenting on the weather and nature. I just love his observations "Mom, it's such a beautiful morning....Mom, look at the moon. Wow, what a gorgeous sunset today." He always asks us "How was your night, mom? and Where are we going today?" He is very inquisitive... "But what would happen?"

I may complain/describe too much about the lack of sleep happening over here but as silly as it makes us it's proportionate to the love and enjoyment that these littles provide. So that's a BIG plus!!

No comments: