Top Topics

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pump.Pray.Love.

Most blogs are inspired by photos, or things that we do. I recently watched Eat.Pray.Love. over a stint of 3 nights. Having read the book a few years ago, I wasn't one to rush to the theaters and make a night of it. Yes, I like to travel, LOVE to eat, dabble in prayer, and love to love to love, but I wasn't a fan of the storyline in the novel where it appeared as if the main character didn't work on her marriage. All of that aside, I received it thru netflix and like I wrote, watched it over the course of a few days while Chris was at work. Pump pray love seemed more fitting around here, as I am still pumping 5-6 times a day, and Owen requires a feeding pump to receive his feeds. Gotta laugh!

Before I started watching the movie- a few days before- I was thinking hard about balance. In my career as a massage therapist as well as my own personal life I have always tried to live in balance, as I'm sure most people do. I feel that pre-mommahood I had a pretty good wrap on the whole marriage-family-friends-health-work-fun-spirit balancing act that is life. But seeking balance with the amazing change that is parenthood has been challenging, albeit the best challenge to tango with.

The movie eat.pray.love summed up my sense of balance these last 8 months, with a quote:
"Sometimes to lose balance for love is part of living a balanced life."

The lightbulb turned on, and I'm laughing at myself for thinking that I could possibly have a perfectly balanced life... and I wouldn't have it any other way! So 'round here we are pumping, praying for a safe surgery 4/15 [The Glenn Procedure and re-routing Owen's Pulmonary veins], and enjoying the imbalance of this love-filled life.

8 comments:

... said...

I love that quote. I'll be thinking of you and Owen with his upcoming surgery. He's such a cutie :)

KS Petty said...

"Balance," like most things, is a bit of a shape shifter. No matter how you define it at a given point in your life, you're bound to infuse it with love.

Unknown said...

You amaze me Chels! How do you have time to write these blogs and be an amazing wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend? You are an inspiration to us all.
Xoxo

Rudy said...

Love that quote and I agree that it holds true for all parents going through whatever challenges they are faced with, and in whatever stage of parenting they are in. I'm sure we will feel this way for the rest of our lives. Love you girly and your insightful mind!

laurel said...

This scares me a bit since I have NEVER been good at balance so to think that it is only likely to get more difficult in some ways... well yeah... but then for every ache and every challenge there is an opportunity that guides and gives us purpose. I have to acknowledge that I am in fact saying this more for myself than for you, as I strive to give more space for the unpleasant parts of life instead, to accept instead of be ashamed of or judge. Ok, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I wanted to say I love you Chels. I admire the mother that you are and am grateful for the friend that you are. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I like pump. pray. love. Sending love to your little boy.

laurel said...

oh yeah, did I mention, I genuinely think you are one of the most capable people I know. Seriously.

The Brittons said...

Thank you all for reading and commenting. It gives me the warm fuzzies to read your comments, and keep connected with you. Much love and sloppy snaggly toothed kisses from Owen!

Unknown said...

I love that quote! As I constantly struggle with the battle of work or not to work. :) P.s. I feel ya on the pumping!