Top Topics

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Monster Trucks!

Last weekend we attended a monster truck performance with Owen. A boys dream come true, seriously!!

The funny thing about small kids is that you can really get away with tailoring their perspective... Yes he has watched monster trucks many many times on DVD. Chris gave it to Owen for his first Christmas I think? We hid it after Awhile since it was such a requested item. He didn't ask for it when it wasn't around.

But there are toys as well! Of course he has a few...When I went to Denver last summer it seemed as if his collection grew from 2 to 20 overnight... (Chris!) I guess tailoring their perspective is a different way to say "engineering their hobbies". It is true. All parents do it on some level. I don't know if I would have picked MT's, but Owen truly does enjoy them. He wouldn't know they exist without us exposing them to him, ya see?

My favorite story of his obsession came right after he started talking, around 20 months. During his bedtime routine we would always say goodnight to various people and things and my sweet cherub kiddo says "night night mama, night night daddy, night night bounty hunter". Unmmmm???????? I about fell off my rocker!! Although this is now a common word in his vocabulary, he doesn't know it as anything other than his favorite toy monster truck. The "engineering" only goes so far, otherwise I would have suggested a different favorite like tropical thunder or el toro loco (his close second). El toro loco was one of his first 3 word combinations, ha! Other fun names (you didn't know this was going to be MT 101, right!?) in Owen's regular vocabulary are:
Bad habit
Gravedigger
Maximum destruction
Puppy truck
Iron man
Bat man
And so on..

It was a blast! Nana, papa, Shari and josh, cousin Mat, Auntie Amanda and Josh, and Josh's mom were all there. It was a fun family outing and I'm sure we will do it again next year! Owen stayed up until it was over, sitting on Chris's lap for most of the time. It was pretty fun going all together. I'm glad we went!

1 comment:

Winn Family said...

Gah! So fun, we went to monster trucks too. Jameson was unimpressed, more focused on playing with the stadium seats. Brady was in heaven though. I had wondered why you guys hadn't updated in a while, just realized that I used to subscribe to your posts on my old phone so I knew when you updated. I've been forgetting to check! So happy to come to the site and see so much good news! xoxo