Top Topics

Sunday, November 13, 2011

GrAtiTuDe

I can't believe that there was a time that I never knew anyone with cancer. My grandfather died when I was very young from cancer secondary to some exposure in WW2. Other than that, it was so rare.

Fast forward a lifetime (er, 28 years) and I am frequently checking updates on Caring Bridge (a hub for blogs to update friends and family, more focused on treatment and plans and such, vs our family blog that addresses all topics). It started with one friend and BOTH of her children she updated on CB. Very rare, but not any the more comfortable having 2 children with different cancers. Then checking up on Baby Evan, whom I have mentioned many times on the blog. Him and Owen had a great play date a couple weeks back. Evan and Owen would take turns pushing each other on the tricycle! He is at the beginning of yet another round of chemo, lasting about 13 weeks. He has gained some weight and continues to amaze us. My cousin is battling a tumor after being cancer free for a few years. More recently another friend's father with ongoing digestive issues related to his cancer and long term on and off hospitalizations. And just tonight, another close friend's Dad's cancer is back and it has spread. There are too many I could even be leaving someone out just based on a long list....I am just speechless........

The point of this... The point of this blog is.... I just feel so helpless and so lucky at the same time. I feel so helpless for these families. The coping with treatment, outcomes, pain, and the constant fight is like nothing I have personally been through. I am reminded every day, every time I give Owen a bath, or change his clothes (multiple times per day!) that life is precious. His scar is the visual reminder if we needed it. That is why I'm sometimes flash happy with his scar. I feel it is a lesson to everyone (self included!) to let go of all the petty stuff and cherish our time we get here on this beautiful earth. It is so cheesy to say but SO TRUE!  We are so blessed with our Owen, our marriage, family, friends, and our health that it is overwhelming sometimes. 

"Hey Owen, no one is looking, let's see what this fountain has to offer."
 "Aw Owen, this is so neat. I think one of us should jump in."
 "Evan, I love you man. I think you should go first...."
"Here, I will give you a hand..."

These kids crack me up! They make me so happy!

No comments: