Top Topics

Monday, April 25, 2011

Bugs, Bath, and Beyond

BUGS
Yesterday (Easter) I noticed he had some little red marks on the nape of his neck, looked just like little mosquito bites... but about 10... After some benedryl and changing his sheets, they went away. But today they are back... The fellow thinks they are hives, and havent tried anything new...hmmm. more benedryl for the chick.
BATH
Owen has been known to be the dirty kid around here, so he got a bath the other night. It wasn't super enjoyable for him, as he cannot submerge, but it got the job done. He will soon get back to playing with his rubber duckies at home.
BEYOND
Sadly, Owen has tested positive for c. diff:(. In a nutshell, this is an infection that happens either due to antibiotic overuse, or from coming in contact with another who has it. The kicker here is that it needs soap and water to be killed, not the sani gels or foams...Which get used all the time around here... not all rooms even have a sink... So the bummer for Owen is cramps (we would imagine) and lots of pooping... But so far, it hasn't been anything like the horrible bug he had in January. Hopefully he will stay hydrated and not have any complications. It seemed like we were at a standstill this weekend with his care. Weaning the oxygen happened one time, but he went into the 60's. Currently, he is at 74% laying in bed asleep, off of oxygen completely.
Haha, guess I could have used bed, bath, and beyond as the title, as my next subject is bed! Oh well. I went to Ron's last night for my first night sleeping there. It was also my second night away from my boys, and my second decent night of sleep since....hmmm... ANYWAYS, I slept from 10ish to 2ish and went right back to sleep until 7ish. Wow, that was a dose of something delectable!! Chris stayed here with Owen and Owen slept more than normal, only waking once himself. Whoot! Chris has been back at Rons today making up for some sleep he missed. Im so glad I was here today, Owen had to get another echo to make sure his pleural space looked good. He was sad pants during that, and right after I needed to pump but as usual Owen needed his mommy too. So, that sweet little man was my pump! For 30minutes! Wahoooo! It was comical and wonderful all at once, and really made me feel so happy for pumping. I know moms who pump forever and dont get the bonus of breastfeeding. The comical part was I was standing, and Owen was laying on his side in his crib, with all of his tubes behind him. I didn't move a muscle because his sats were in the high 70's-low 80's! We snuggled a lot today, and his tummy doesn't seem to be bugging him too much. I'm going to eat while he is snuggled in bed. Hope Easter was wonderful, it was interesting being here. A volunteer brought an easter basket for Owen, so nice! Next year will be even sweeter!

1 comment:

Erika said...

C-diff! poor little guy. Hope it goes away soon!
Hope u guys can come home soon. We miss you guys!